If you are staying in the central district there is not much use for you to take a public bus, except perhaps for the ride to the airport in which case you can take number 152.
For those who like to explore the surroundings/outskirts of HCMC, taking the bus is not that difficult as it looks but keep the following rules in mind:
- Standing at the busstop is not enough, hail the bus like you would hail a taxi (wave your hand).
- Get on the bus quickly, the do not stop for you, when driving slowly simply jump on and hold on tight :)
- If you pay on the bus for a ticket it costs you 6000Dong, simply sit down and the conductor will approach you and you get a receipt, hold on to it as sometimes inspectors check the bus.
- Tickets purchased in advance are only 3000Dong, you have a coupon (or a coupon booklet with more coupons in it) with 2 identical numbers, board the bus, once the conductor approaches you, tear the ticket in half and give 1 number to the conductor, hold on to your receipt.
- Getting of is like getting on, before your stop comes get up, walk to the door.. and get out. The conductor will warn you and motorcyclists wenn you can get off.. but still keep an eye out for those motorcyclists.